A funny memory came into my head this afternoon while waiting for family and friends to come over for a movie...
My brother Matt must have liked this girl because when he found out she was going to be on vacation with her family for an extended amount of time, he said he would take care of the paper route that her little brother had. This boy was my age, but I didn't know him because he went to the private school. We were both in sixth grade. All I remember is being woken up VERY EARLY one Saturday morning with the news that my twin sister, Elizabeth and I were in charge of the paper route for the next 3-4 weekends. What's up with that? How did we get roped into this? I remember being really upset by it. For like two Saturdays Liz and I went to walk the route with Josh, the boy. Of course we had to get familiar with it before it was all our responsibility. Matt did his part too! He was the one who drove us to the trailer park where the route was. What a guy! I'm sure he returned home to enjoy another hour or three of sleep. Liz and I were crazy upset, but also slightly excited because this was a new boy in our class that nobody at our school knew. Soon Josh and his family left for vacation and it was up to us for what seemed like a month, but was probably only a couple of weeks. We had to get there insanely early so we could roll the papers and put them in bags. Then we had to load up the carrier which had pouches on both sides of the body when it was worn correctly. I'm pretty sure Liz wore that carrier. She always did the things that were harder. Like carrying heavy things, and going into the doctor's office first when we had appointments together, which was like all the time. Now it was time to get started. We walked through the trailer park talking to each other and probably fighting every once in a while because that's what twins do when they're upset: they take it out on each other. "You didn't get the paper close enough to the door!" "You never throw it right, just let me!" Being the good Christian girls that we were, I also remember being so afraid of doing something wrong to upset one of the residents. So whenever we thought the other one did something borderline crazy, we would snap at each other with a quick scolding.
One early morning I remember one of the trailer park residents was blasting a song that we had never heard before. It was catchy and the guy kept saying: "I won't do that. Oh no, I won't do that." We sang it the whole rest of the morning and wondered out loud what he meant by, "I won't do that..." What in the world is he talking about??? We found out later that week that it was Meatloaf, in fact, that we had heard, and we were still not sure what the song was all about. One day we sat in front of the radio that was in we room we shared, and listened to that song again. My mom walked by and said, "I don't like that song. Turn it off." What? Why? We didn't understand. But we turned it off anyway.
Huh. I just wanted to share this story because I thought the injustice level was off the charts. Big brothers can make little sisters do anything! I also thought it was funny that I remembered the Meatloaf song. This made me laugh out loud today. It would be funny to tell Matt what I remember about this incident, and then he'd probably set me straight about how it all REALLY when down. Even if I knew the truth, I'd still tell the story this way.
9 comments:
D-Deb:
Big Brothers are always right, especially yours. Love,
1 of your 2
P.S.I really like what you are doing on this site...I check it regularly...so watch what you say!
:)
Alright, not sure which brother wrote this comment, but I'm thinking it was Jeeves b/c of the D-Deb reference. Shut it! I heard you gave a cat to Amanda, not one of your own though, that's good. Tiger might bite the kids. :)
Debra, yes I have tried meatloaf. Who do you think I am? :) Really, I don't blame you for asking, considering grapefruit was a first this summer. I think we should all share more random stories, don't you?
I love meatloaf. Even if it sings.
I still do things for my Big Brother (anyone catch that reference...?)
In fact, I spent most of my free time this summer creating invitations/brochures/cards for the Republican candidate he worked for. And didn't get paid. He's probably already forgotten about it too.
this story was so freaking funny!! i feel bad for reading it in the library b/c i'm being disruptive!! i'm glad Matt didn't drag ME into that...cliche reasons being "paige you're too young" or "oh, paige, i don't think you were born yet".
This blog is AWESOME! I laughed so hard b/c it's all so true! (Including the part about me doing the hard stuff--thanks for finally acknowledging that. haha) This paper route was in a trailer park, and I remember some pretty scary looking trailers. I also remember one that smelled like that one lady's house who used to babysit us. (you know who I'm talking about) :) Also, I remember kind of enjoying rolling the papers in their trailer b/c we got to watch cable tv, but we were so worried about leaving everything EXACTLY the way we found it b/c we didn't want them to come in and know that we watched tv. I'm sure they would have been fine with that. I also remember why mom didn't like that song...I'll just let you think on that one...maybe I'll tell you some day little Deborah. From your strong twin sister.
Oh, dang, this is so funny, Deb. I can add to the cliche reasons for why I wasn't not aware of this situation until just now in 2006: "Oh, I guess you were already gone to college" or "You were probably more concerned with your hair or Jake Morrison to realize what was going on in the lives of others." You are such a great writer, Deborah. Thanks for sharing your heart with us. I just spent 10 minutes having some really good belly laughs here in my kitchen. I'm pretty sure that I am freaking Linus out. Yah, sorry about that lawn chair thing. Love, your oldest sister, Manda (I just realized anyone reading this who doesn't know who Linus is, maybe thinks that is my husband's name. That's stinking funny.)
Deb, get this, I was laughing with Matthew about this Friday night on the phone, and he had to stop me because he didn't even know what I was talking about! Wha? Figures.
:)
My siblings are funny. Linus is a cat. Mandy still needs to send pictures. I can't believe Matt doesn't remember this!! That's outrageous. I think this calls for a family meeting during Thanksgiving.
Post a Comment