Monday, October 09, 2006

So many joys in such a short time

Friday at 5. Done with conferences/thinking about school until Tuesday morning. What a wonderful weekend ahead of me! Time with incredibly amazing friends, family, and lone time in the car. What could be better? In times like this, when there is so much that is noteworthy, I have to resort to making a list. It saves time, and I promised I'd play a game with Luke at 4:00. Since I neglected him all weekend, I better be true. So, here's the highlights:

The beautiful fall colors. It was everywhere. I love fall. I discovered this was my favorite season last year when I moved to Sioux City. The surrounding area is so colorful and seems alive! Funny that the colors mean it is dying. But, vibrant non-the-less. I can't wait to go back to the state park we discovered this weekend: McBride Lake State Park. So beautiful!
Meg Vinson at Cup 'o Joe! I've missed my Meg. It was the greatest thing to spend time with her and KB. We got to reconnect and learn new things about each other. Meg still really makes me laugh. Oh, memories of when she was my camper. Spiderman and Jim Craig rule! You're welcome at my fire side anytime, Meg!

If you haven't already guessed, that's ok I haven't told you yet. I spent the weekend with three of my best friends in the world. Stacy Regennitter (I spelled it right!), Laura Helmke, and Kelli Burrier. All of us in different spots on the map, but coming together for a weekend of whatever and wherever. This is where we sat on a cliff that overlooked the expansive McBride Lake. We chatted and got hungry. Kelli fought with bugs and Stacy let one foot cool off. I took the pictures. I have beautiful friends inside and out. Our weekend was so fun. We spent a little time in Cedar Falls, and some in Cedar Rapids. I got a flat tire, but it got fixed for free. We swam and ate at Chilli's. We hiked and laughed at each other. We had earthshattering discoveries about things we should have learned way back in Jr. High. I'm so glad that's all cleared up now!

Atkins, IA holds one of Iowa's best-kept secrets: Bloombury Farm. Complete with corn maze and haunted barn, a fun time can be had by all at this gourd-filled getaway. Not worth the $9 unless you have kids, but the gift shop and barn filled with gourds is worth the trip. Hey, you might even get a bug in your eye! I'll post pics of this later when I can fit more in a post.

My nephews are so adorable. Elijah is now going around the house meowing like a cat. "Meow! Meow!" He will even show you how a cat bathes itself. Sam remembers everything! He knew that Luke was no where to be found! What's up with that! He knows that when I leave it may be a long time before I come back. Oh, if only I could see them everyday. Sam is saying Bible verses b/c he's in Cubbies now. Wow. The intense emotion that wells up when you hear your child or nephew recite the words of the Lord could be felt by looking from face to face in that room. I love Sammy, and God loves him. I pray he knows that fully in his life.

My sister Liz and husband Andy gave Luke and me a plant. A housewarming gift they've been saving for months until it's just right for our new home. There's something so touching about knowing that a person has wanted to give you something for a long time, but has just had to wait until it was perfect. Lots of care has gone into this plant already, I hope I can keep it alive. I do not have a green thumb, or is it that it's just undiscovered? This brought tears to my eyes to see how the Lord provides for me. I've been wanting to add plants to my home.

I didn't have the threat of sleep even once during the insane amount of hours that I drove this weekend! I prayed over and over again for safety on the road. The Lord provides!

Jesse's Girl on the way home. I love that song.

What a great getaway! School starts tomorrow, but, ain't nothing gonna break my stride. Ain't nothing gonna hold me down, oh no.

**I didn't get done by 4:00. I think it'll be ok.**

4 comments:

Bryan said...

You should sleep. I hear it's good for you.

Kelli B said...

DEB! Word to earthshaking discoveries...I hope all is well with your newfound understanding!

dude...what a great weekend. Love you and miss you so. Thanks for the fabulous post.

Anonymous said...

I had a plant once. For about 3 weeks.

Anonymous said...

This was fun to read, Deb! Yea for the plant! I'm glad you got back safely. By the way, sorry about not calling you back before church to let you come over--I got the message Monday afternoon. I don't check my cell phone as much as I should. I would have gladly let you use my mascara. :) Talk to you later!