
In "Reader's Digest" I read an interview with Tim Allen, in anticipation of his new movie: Santa Clause 3. Will it be the next Christmas classic? Probably not. Anyway, there was one question and response that I found humerous and pretty true, in my life.
"RD: What was it like growing up in a family with so many children?
Allen: Fabulous, although my mom wold probably disagree. I have an only child. She's so independent and good with adults. We didn't care about adults. They were in that other living area. It was like Charlie Brown: you just saw their feet walking around."
I thought this was funny b/c it's so true. I was the fifth child out of six. Maybe being so far down in the pack made it more true for me than the older ones. I remember growing up being so intimidated and scared sometimes when communicating with adults, even uncles and aunts b/c we hardly ever saw them. Hey, when there's so many kids around, there's no need to interact with adults, but boy, when you're forced to, it's the most nerve-racking thing. Could this be why during all my jobs in highschool there was so much discomfort when it came to realtionships with my bosses? I.E. T-Man??? As realized recently, I was not able to feel comfortable around adults until I had become one. So, since college, it's been good. I just thought this was interesting. The reference to Charlie Brown made me laugh because I always got so irritated that I could never see the adults' faces or understand what they were saying. It's funny to me now b/c I think they were making a statement that when you're Charlie Brown's age, everything adults say sounds the same, as well as unintelligible.
2 comments:
Yeah, I always wanted to know what the adults were saying! I found it hard to believe that they wer eall saying "wah wuh wa, wuhhh wa wa wah"
i'm anticipating being annexed from the "adult room" this saturday when everyone comes to our house for thanksgiving. yeesh.
Post a Comment