Thursday, December 14, 2006

Just Tell Us!!!


Today I really stumped my students. They decided to sing "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer," so I decided to play a little Christmas game with them. That's what you get for singing in class. I had them guessing all day. I got a little annoyed when they wanted to guess instead of doing their math homework, and when they stayed inside for recess so they could ask me for clues. Oh well, it's just for one day. I'm ending this madness tomorrow.

So, I said, "It's a little known fact that there actually is a tenth reindeer."

"What? No there's not!" (What followed was a reciting of the introductory part to the "Rudolph" song: "You know Dasher and Dancer...")

So we listed them all on the board, counted them up, and then I said, "There's one more."

This blew their minds.

We sang the song again. And again. Then...

"Oh! I've got it!"

My brightest student wrote it down real quick and submitted it for my approval. He was right. Then we broke for lunch. The second half of the day was filled with guesses like, "Is the other reindeer's name Glee? Foggy? Eve?" No, no, no. Seriously, foggy??

Anyway, all of them but one has gotten it. I'm really proud of the one who got it first, and the one who will most definitely get it tomorrow because they are the ones who have figured it out for themselves. The rest of them quizzed me and each other all day long, thus getting hints from EVERYONE!

Just a little holiday fun. I'm certain many of you out there know what I'm talking about and already have it figured out, but in case there's anybody out there who hasn't, let's not give it away.
Hidden within "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer" is the name of a tenth reindeer. Can you find it???

8 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

I got confused and thought there was a name in the phrase "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer", but you meant the SONG "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer". Then I read Paul's comment and still didn't get it. I'm like, there's no V in that phrase! So I actually had to google it before I realized everything. Yes, I am a college student.

Deb said...

I'm glad you got it all figured out Holli! Now your life will be richer and more fulfilling. :) I can hear you laughing to yourself as you realize how long that took you.

Bryan said...

This is going to bother me all day...

Deb said...

I deleted Paul's comment b/c it told the answer. I wanted to give everyone a fighting chance. However, let it be known: Paul was the first correct response.

Jackie said...

I got it! Funny story. I was singing the song on my way through our house trying to figure it out. The split second after I figured it out, I hear Mallory from the other room saying "that's the other reindeer!" She saw it on a movie recently. Thanks for sharing that Deb!

Anonymous said...

glad to know i am currently more intellectually challenged than your elementary kids. you should probably let the rest of us in on this. i think i actually saw a blur of it zing right over my head. goodtimes.

o... and happy holidays.

Deb said...

Ok, for those of you who are wondering and will read this again; the answer is...OLIVE.

"All of the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names..."

OR

"Olive the other reindeer, used to laugh and call him names..."

Cute, huh? Don't worry Meg, there were many who were puzzled by this!