For 18 years Sunday nights used to mean going to church. For a long time I just sat with my mom. Then came the teen years where we would sit in the front as a youth group. It was fun for us cause we could all be together. It was fun for the adults because they could have a clear view of their youngsters sitting in church and not out on the streets.
In college it meant going to Bible study with Stacy Elizabeth Billings for most of the years. Other years it meant just studying or spending time with my roommates.
The past two summers they have meant staff fun night. One night in particular was not so fun: rock wall climbing. The strangest thing though: when it was over, it was a little fun.
Since school has started Sunday nights have meant Amazing Race. Tonight, however, Sunday night meant going to a Christmas program at a church I don't normally go to in order to see my students preform. It meant seeing one of my students from last year who doesn't go to my school anymore. I was assured that he is doing ok and that all the hard work and frustration we experienced together has made him so dear to my heart. I was brought to a point of pure joy in seeing him tonight. It was worth it. This particular Sunday night meant catching up with my cousin James who happens to live in Sioux City, but whom I never see. He's handsome and funny and so caring. It was worth it to go just so that we could have the best conversation that we've ever had. Amazing Race was just going to have to wait this Sunday. So, I set the Media Center to tape it. What I wasn't counting on, but should have thought about, was that football runs late on Sundays, so 60 Minutes gets started late, and that pushes Amazing Race back a half an hour. 7:30-8:30 instead of 7-8. The computer set it to tape 7-8. So, I have no idea who won the race, but I do know how it started. I kinda feel like I watched the whole season for nothing! What's the point in watching the process if you can't see how it ends?? Hmmm, my mind is racing because I feel like there should be some kind of spiritual connection to all of this. I'll think on that one. Anyway, I suppose missing the final episode of Amazing Race is worth it for the chance to be with James and to see my students. Teaching is the most wonderful profession to have. What else is there? All my life I've thought I would be a teacher because seriously, what else is there to do?? I honestly thought that. Now I know there's more, but there's nothing else I'd rather do.
5 comments:
I was watching Regis & Kelly this morning and they had the winners of the Amazing Race. Ryan and Paul? I don't remember if that's right. But they were two young guys who, to me, looked like twins.
It must be good for the students having teachers who really care! Good work!
sunday nights from back in the day mean frozen pizza and chips and dip. and the moores'.
I remember Sunday nights meaning that we were trying to find someone...anyone's house to go to after church, and it was usually the moore's. Then I remember being told that we had to stop doing that because there were certain members of the youth group who could not attend because they lived out of town. My sentiments are still the same as they were way back then: "so?"
haha! Exactly!
Post a Comment