Monday, June 11, 2007

Summer Starts

Wow, this summer so far has been theraputic and amazing.

Yesterday I bought a pool pass for our town pool. I haven't had a pool pass since I was 12. It's no Crosby, but it will serve its purpose for Luke and I to swim some laps daily if possible.

I started my job at Peggy's Biscottis and I'm loving it. I do the same thing over and over again and that's wonderful. There's no homework, no prep involved...I just show up and wrap/ship biscottis for 3-7 hours depending on the day.

I've also taken on a student for the summer. One little boy from my school wants to skip a grade, fourth grade, so his mom asked me to catch him up this summer. It's mucho work, but good enough money to make it worth it.

I'm getting really excited for my trip to Alaska, the biggest state in the U.S.

The last time I had a summer like this (part time job, tons of free time) was the summer before I got married and I was living with Paige. Paige got me hooked on Alias. So, keeping in sync with that summer, I've gotten hooked on another ABC show: Grey's Anatomy. I've watched season 1 and am in the middle of season 2. The DVD was produced by the same company as ALIAS, so I hear the same little melody at the beginning of each Grey's Anatomy disc. It's these pleasant reminders of my time with Paige that keep me going. :)

My twin sister Elizabeth revealed to us that she's pregnant! I've been praying for this baby and feel like it's practically my own. Hey Liz, you know how we share everything...

It's 5:45 on Monday, I'm sitting in Panera, and I've had the whole day off. Yes, every Monday is my day off. I start the weekend early too: Friday at noon. Long weekends all summer...this is great.

No summer is complete without a family vacation. Luke and I have been to camp to visit friends already, this weekend we'll spend with my family in Marshalltown, and we are giving serious thought to a Disney World trip with camp friends. That trip won't happen until November. There are some reservations, but, that would be so fun!

I've had some luck with growing things. It's just too bad that everything that's bloomed is potted. I'm still waiting for my planted seeds to sprout and grow. I'm watering them faithfully and talk to them every once in a while.

Today I was walking home from my tanning appointment (because of Luke's brother's wedding in July. I'm a bridesmaid.) and I walked by Casey's. A man held the door open for me. I had no intention of going in, but I didn't want him to feel stupid, so I walked in. I pretended to look in the candy aisle, waited until he was distracted with the soda fountain, and split. In the end I was the one that felt a little stupid. Oh well, his feelings were spared.

7 comments:

Paigery said...

Deb! I've been CRAVING Alias and am seriously considering renting a few DVDs. Patrick and I have been watching 24, but it's just not the same.

Go to Disneyworld! Remember how much fun that was?? I think Patrick is taking me to DisneyLand for my birthday this year, which will only be a 45 minute trip!!

Lindsay B said...

Hey Deb, I catch up on your blog every now and then through Kelli's. You may have felt silly walking into Casey's, but I thought that was really sweet! (In my mind though I'm picturing a sweet old man....it might be different if it was some teenager....then it might be kind of awkward :) )

Anonymous said...

Deb--what a great summer! I'm excited for you to have a really great time this summer. I was visiting Andy's brother Dan yesterday, and he said they're watching the "Quantum Leap" series! No way! Did you ever watch that w/ me?? I was excited about that. Thank you so much for your prayers for "our" baby! :) I will have to start my own baby blog soon. Also--I laughed that you went into Casey's even though you didn't need to--I would have done the same thing! haha!

Kelli B said...

WHAT! Congratulations, Liz!!! ahhh!

Deb, i am so thrilled for you! for a moment, when i read that you guys share everyhting, i thought you were going to say you were prego too! i almost exploded out of my chair!

i will wait for that glorious day in great anticipation!!!

love you and see you in like 3 days!!!

Deb said...

Paige: you should try Grey's Anatomy. I cry at every episode. I really want to go to Disney...we'll see!

Lindsay! It's so wonderful to have Brown girls in my life! I'm flattered that you read my blog! Do you have one? Can I catch up on your life? The guy that held the door open for me was in his 40's...however, I share your sentiments on the adorable-ness of old men.

Liz: yes, I watched Quantum Leap with you. I think it was on right before Parker Lewis. HA!

Kelli: I didn't think about what I might be communicating when I wrote that. Oops! :)
See you soon!

Amanda said...

As most of you know, Greg & I have been watching House on DVD this Spring. We just finished season 2 and now we are in total crazy mode because Season 3 doesn't come out until the end of August. STRESS! I need a House fix!

Anonymous said...

You can skip grades?! I wish I had known that.
I think my grandpa skipped 3rd grade. But he also exaggerates about how big his muscles are...
I'm kind of skipping half a grade in college...