Thursday, July 10, 2008

What does Rome have that I don't? or Luke's big adventure

Today was a big day!


Luke and I laid our home and cats and plants in the very capable hands of Dustin Graham, a family friend, and drove to Des Moines. Our mission was to send Luke off to Rome, Italy.


Last year at this same time I went to Alaska and had one heck of a time. It provided me with amazing memories and pictures. I went with Luke's blessing. He stayed home and worked at Gamestop.



This summer it's Luke's turn. He wins. He has a bigger time change, different language, different money, use of a passport is required, and arguably better scenery--that's highly debatable, however.



It was hard to say goodbye. I cried a little. Let's put this in perspective. Luke and I have spent the last month and a half together every day. The first time we are separated is to send him off to Rome. Not Sioux Falls....Rome. I will be glad to see him come home.


For those of you wondering...a brief explanation. Luke will be leading a senior trip to Europe next year, so this is his orientation trip. It is 5 days long, and completely free. Awesome! He will go again next March and the plan is for me to go with him...along with kids/other adults.



Here is the picture that I made Luke stand still for. I think he resents cameras. As I was taking this picture he was disgusted and said, "First day of school."


I'm hoping he takes lots of pictures of his European adventure. I'll share some if he lets me.


On another note...


On the way to Des Moines we stopped at the cemetary to take some pictures. I've been wanting to get pictures to share with you and my family. Here are some that we took...for no other reason than to let you in.

12 comments:

Holli said...

I'm glad the next time you'll be vacationing, it will be together! Rome sounds fun! Maybe he'll meet the Pope.

Those are nice stones - thank you for sharing. After becoming a Rausch, I'm finding new appreciation for them. (Rausch Bros. Granite)

Holli said...

Also, I can definitely imagine Luke saying "First Day of School" after that photo. :)

Miles Rausch said...

I'm definitely jealous of Rome. I learned a little Italian thanks to a podcast, but I didn't retain much of it.

Judging from my family experience, it would appear that the Baby Demarest stone is a Cold Springs Red, while the Demarest upright is a Georgia Grey. Of course, every granite company has different names for different colors, so I can simultaneously claim to be right whilst being entirely wrong.

Deb said...

Mental note: if you want both Rausches to comment on your blog mention Sioux Falls, and talk about a Rausch family business. :)

P.S. I'm not going to argue with the names of the colors. Miles is always right...that's my motto.

Holli said...

Now you just need Greg Rausch to comment!

Amanda said...

Oh, don't hold your breath for a Greg ROUSH comment. But Amanda ROUSH will comment. About how we have the whacked-out, Americanized spelling of our last name ... but more phonetically appropriate for the USA. I'm sure you don't get the "Roosh" pronunciation. Lucky.

Holli said...

We don't get "roosh" but we do get "raw-sh". Gregg was so much easier for people to pronounce.

Ahh, the sacrifices of marriage. Am I right?!

Liz said...

So good to see Grace's stone, Deb. Thanks for sharing the pictures. We'll be excited to hear about Luke's trip too!

Amanda said...

How can one gal have both of my husband's names during her lifetime? That is amazing! Do you have Allan anywhere in your lineup? : )

Holli said...

There's an Allen. But he's my mom's brother, so he's neither a Gregg or a Rausch!

Kelli B said...

Deb - thanks for posting the pics.....

I think Luke is funny. first day of school - lol.

I'm so glad i got to see you. Alaska IS better than Rome! ABSOLUTELY! And ps - i love your new photo at the top!

Paigery said...

Amo Roma!!