Friday, April 10, 2009

Hosanna

Last week at church I was blown away by the meaning of the word "Hosanna".

I always knew this word was shouted and proclaimed so strongly when Jesus rode into Jerusalem on a donkey, but I guess I never thought to wonder what it actually meant. I probably assumed that it meant something like "Here comes the King".

Hosanna has a duel meaning. This is amazing to me.
It seems that Hosanna is a cry for salvation ("Save! Please!"), while at the same time a cry of praise or adoration shouted in recognition of the Messiah.
Wow!
I feel like I should have been crying out this name of our Father everyday since I've been born. In a way I have. Ever since I learned of this one week ago I have been daily using Hosanna to address my King.
I think the reason that it speaks so directly to me is because I know that I have an infinite number of reasons to praise my God, but I also have the same number of reasons to plead with my God. The past 15 months I've pleaded like never before, and I've praised like never before.

Hosanna!

I love that a person can use one word to say so many things, especially when talking to the One who knows your soul and heart and mind so intimately. He knows my heart when I say Hosanna.

Well, today again I say HOSANNA!

First thing this morning I learned that my twin sister, Liz, gave birth to a very healthy baby boy at about 5 am. PRAISE GOD! Andy told me all about it over the phone and I just cried and cried after hanging up with him. I am so blown away by the goodness of the Lord. After losing their first, getting pregnant again and having a not-so-easy second pregnancy with bedrest and injections and doctor's appointments, God has blessed them tremendously. A healthy baby boy, perfectly healthy! I can't believe how happy I feel, and how thankful I feel. When I cried this morning I cried Hosanna. Thank you, Father, for a healthy baby, and please, God, bless me the same way someday. Thank you Lord, for good news finally, and please Lord, watch over this baby and bring him to know You. Is it OK for me to share his name, Liz? I'll let Liz share first, then I'll post pictures later with his name. Thank you to all of you out there who might have been praying for her!

Well, I was so happy, and then came the stark reminder that not all things are happy today. So, like the word Hosanna, this morning I was saying two things. I was praising God, but I was also pleading with God for the comfort and healing of a family that lost a three year old boy this week, for those that need to find jobs, for those that are waiting and waiting for all different kinds of things, for those who have lost loved ones, for the ladies who are having complications in pregnancy, for the hearts that hurt, and hearts that are full of excitement but also some doubts/fears/anxieties.

Lord, we are in such need of You!
Hosanna!
It's amazing to me that you care, that you orchestrate, that you continue to bless, to guide, to LOVE, to cherish, to FEEL with us. Thank you, Lord. You are the Creator and you cherish us.
Thank you for the gift of Jesus and eternity. Thank you for what you endured, and for what you have prepared for us.

HOSANNA!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing Deb. So true that we need to praise him and plead with him every day. Wow. And so true to remember that as you are rejoicing, someone else is mourning. What an amazing word, Hosanna!

Stacy K

unspkblejoy said...

Amen and amen!

Anonymous said...

Awesome post, Deb! God is so faithful to bless us and uphold us. Thanks for such a great word to think about- HOSANNA!

Holli said...

Thank you for sharing, Deb! Your honesty is moving to me.

Liz said...

Great post, Deb! What a great word! I always thought of Hosanna as meaning, "Salvation Now!" I love the added meaning of offering up praise and adoration. Great to think about! Also, you can share all about Judah if you still want to post pictures and stuff! We are so excited about his arrival! We love every part of him! I'm excited to see you again in May!