I feel like when I watch a movie I can really like it, but the part that sticks with me is what they say at the very end. That's what really hits home for me because it wraps it all up. It usually is a lesson that the character has learned. Many times I can go the whole movie without crying, or feeling very deeply about this situation, until they tell me what they've learned, then it just strikes a chord with me. I think it's because I really appreciate it when God allows me to see the lesson that comes from any hard or joyful experience in life, so to watch other people learning is so cool.
There are two movies I can think of right away where my favorite part just might be the ending--when they wrap it all up. They are Hope Floats and Nicholas Nichleby. Last night I watched Nicholas Nichleby. Allow me to share with you what was recited by Nathan Lane's character:
What happens if too early we lose a parent; that party on whom we rely for only...everything? What did these people do when their families shrank? They cried their tears, but then they did the vital thing. They built a new family...person by person. They came to see that family need not be defined merely as those with whom they share blood, but as those for whom they would give their blood.
I thought this was amazing. If you know me at all you'd know that I lost a parent early in life. This totally recinated with me because I can see how we did these very same things. We cried...a lot, but then we started again. My mom got remarried to a wonderful man. Besides that, our family has tripled since my father died. Praise God that families keep growing. And according to this, family is not only blood relatives, which I can absolutely see in my life too. There are people who we relied on during "the accident" that became part of our family. This helps me also to feel that much closer to my inlaws.God is so good to give us family. My prayer is that mine keeps growing. I know that it will. After college it was easy to think that I would never ever even want to have more family--all I wanted was to be with the new family God had blessed me with for four years. Even though it may take a while, and our hearts may be a little hard, the Lord still brings to us tender hearts and joyful hearts that are perfect for being in our family.
When I watch Hope Floats again, I will remember to post what it says at the very end...I can think of tidbits now, but it would be so much better whole.
2 comments:
Deb, that was such a sweet, sweet post from the heart.
Thanks for sharing! I loved it. I love your heart and miss it Debbie.
You're awesome. God is even more awesome. And our time on earth is not certain - it makes me thankful for life as it is, but makes me see how life can still go on and expand no matter what happens, no matter who comes and goes. Makes me think of my grandpa. it will be sad and hard to say goodbye...so hard. but it will be exciting to see how life continues in his legacy and void.
Love you friend.
Thanks for sharing, Deb! It's nice to read a post from the heart and meant for good. :)
One movie where I don't enjoy the ending is Castaway. I always watched it and thought "Why didn't I like this before? It's pretty good." Then the ending comes and I remember. And I get angry. So now I've made myself remember. Forever.
Post a Comment