Friday, September 08, 2006

Have you been making some good friends?

I don't know how many times I've been asked this question since I've graduated college and moved on to new places. Every time I was asked, it was met with an, "Uh, yeah. We've been meeting a lot of people." It took me until tonight to realize the magnificent work God has been doing in my life for the past year and a half.

My answer is a resounding YES! Forgive me Lord and forgive me to everyone involved for not seeing it until tonight.

Tonight I attended a wedding shower for my sister-in-law, Charity. She is getting married in two weeks. She is incredibly calm, and just taking it easy. We ask, "How will you do your hair, Charity?" And she says, "Well, I thought about asking Trish, but I haven't." We all know it will come together, but it's humerous. Tonight was the meeting of women in Charity's life. Mom, Grandma, sister-in-law, best friend, and the many women that have helped raise her-- her parents have so many good friends they've let be apart of their lives, as well as their childrens'. We played games, opened gifts and talked for an hour and a half. Just us girls! It was incredible. When I say that I spend no time apart from my husband, I'd be willing to place a bet and dare someone to find me apart from him in the next week. Our lives are such right now that we are always together. I've gotten used to it, and I enjoy him so much. But, WOW, how incredible it was to be away from him and to talk with the girls. While I was there I felt at ease and enjoyed just being able to be a girl. Mentally I can go through the room and picture all the peolple that I can now genuinely call my friends--people that are important in my life. People I would hate to live without. Many of them are my family also.

Micah and Sarah: Amazing people of God. A young couple with a daughter who just turned one. Sarah grew up with Luke; and Micah, the resident Jew :), came to us from kind of all over. Micah and I talk about big city life compared to Correctionville. Yah, Marshalltown is SO BIG! :) Sarah threw the shower tonight and let me help. Micah came to our house to play with Luke. I think they played video games.

Charity and Paul: Luke's sister and her fiance. They are so great and funny. Paul is a youth minister and Charity teaches at school with us now. She's also living with us until her wedding. How great to now be related to such fun people who share our love of the Lord.

Gabe and Terri: Luke's brother and his fiance. Both attending school at UNI. Gabe is a Demarest through and through, but so different than Luke. I really enjoy his more sensitive side and caring spirit. Terri is such a joy. She's beautiful and has the inside character to match. I love it when they come home!

Mark and Jo: Luke's parents. I'm so thankful for their Godly example. Tonight we talked a lot about marriage. People said a high-risk time for divorce is when all the kids are out of the house b/c the couple finds they have nothing in common anymore. I know Mark and Jo will not experience this next year when Gabe is married. Like Luke and I, Mark and Jo are together all the time. They minister together, talk together, and love together. They share all they have and wish they could do more. I am so incredibly thankful for them. I look forward to our relationship growing stronger and stronger.

Cara and Tony: I love Cara! She is one of those women that I know can spur me on towards Christ. If only we could find the time to be together! She homeschools and loves her family. When I have kids I think I'll spend more time with her. We live close. Tony is so funny. He could be a pro football player by the looks of him. He's so in love with his wife and is an entertainer. He's a business man who will always provide for his family in a biblical way. They are pregnant again! I think about the first time we met them at a Bible study for young couples. We were shy, but now here we are.

And I have to mention all the camp friends I've made.

Keith and Mandy: Directors of the camp Luke worked at in highschool/college. We've worked there together the last two summers. They're great b/c they're the only other couple at camp and they are hilarious. I think Luke really appreciates Keith b/c they can talk about a lot of the same stuff. I appreciate Mandy b/c she's Mandy and brings new life to everything! You haven't lived until you spend a day with Mandy.

Gosh, there are so many people at camp. I could make a big long list; God has been good. Since I've been mentioning couples tonight, I'll stick with couples. So I guess I should include Bryan and Debra....just joking.

I feel compelled to write all this tonight b/c on my drive home alone between belting out Celine Dion songs, I was thinking of all the people God has placed in my life, and how in the beginning I didn't think I would make any lasting relationships. When Luke and I moved in with his parents I was uncomfortable and shy and frustrated a lot, I didn't give anyone much of a chance; or was just uncomfortable doing so. When we went to camp the first time people were whispering about me right in front of me. (Apparently I look like Debra Wittrock. Whatev. Ha!) I totally misunderstood, and could have sworn right then to not be friendly all summer. I'm not upset about that anymore. I promise! Over the last two summers I went from thinking camp was Luke's thing, to knowing camp is something we share now.

Anyway, if for no one else but me, it's been good to think of all the people who I can now call my friends as a result of this after-college, newly-married, moving away from family and friends adjustment. God has been good during this time that has been uncertain sometimes and filled with change.









Front to back: Paul, Mark, Jo, Micah, a pregnant Sarah, Terri, and a distant relative.

2 comments:

Kelli B said...

Cool post deb!

Anonymous said...

I keep thinking about our Jesse's girl duet!