Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Running a Mile Can Kill You


Apparently running a mile can kill you.
This is according to my fourth graders who ran the mile today.
You would have thought they had been poisoned after their mile run, by the way they were holding their stomachs and groaning and complaining.
I think I was asking for disappointment and frustration when I went ahead with our math lesson after their mile run. I told them to sit down, let their bodies rest, and drink lots of water. I turned on the air and fans full blast and all I was asking them to do was just listen and follow along. And maybe answer a question once in a while. Well, this was too much. Two girls insisted they were going to throw up, asking for the bathroom and drinking fountain, headache medicine, and so on. I had so many interruptions during this lesson. I was more than a little put off by all the drama.
So the rest of the day went like this: "Weren't you listening?" "I missed number four, will you go back?" "I don't feel very good, so it's hard for me to think." "If anybody else talks it's two warnings instead of one."
Yep, I let it get me down. I let it affect me and I remember at one point praying for patience and peace because I was out of it. This incident with the mile run is the breaking point for what has been building up for three weeks now. I'm in the process of restructuring my discipline plan, because what was used last year is not working this year. Today just confirmed it. There are a few that just aren't responding to the warnings and subsequent concequences. So, it'll all change, and I'm learning that it may take a little extra to be patient and peaceful this year. I have some students that really need my room to be peaceful and happy, and I want it to be that way too, so Lord, help me.

2 comments:

Kelli B said...

deb, i read your comment on my page, then your post. thanks for sharing deb. I'm glad for the little "brightness" and intimate way God connected w/ you even in the midst of the insanity!

i'm thankful luke is your husband...and that you can share in teaching struggles together. I'm hopeful that you will stand strong in the Lord, be confident in yourself, and use creative measures to transform your classroom.

i love you debbie!

Anonymous said...

So I was thinking "Deb hasn't posted in a while". Turns out, you have been posting quite often. My blogreader hasn't been picking them up for some reason. I'll be trying to catch up, but sorry about that!