Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Rare and Few


Not many people get to graduate from college with their husband. That's why I love these pictures so much. We sat right next to each other and walked across the stage one after the other. Deb first, then Luke. Luke cheered loudly for me. Yes, we planned it so our hats would point to each other while we were sitting among the rest of the Ed. Majors. We made it easy for our parents to spot us.

I also really like this next picture. It's an ad for Bleach. At the bottom it says, "Trusted for six genertations. All the rage since 1913." I'm not sure why I like it so much. It just really makes me think. What are they trying to say? I may be searching too deep for meaning...probably. It think it's saying that what was popular in 1913 was to be like the first girl, then in the twenties to be like the second girl, and so on. Until we get to today. So the question I ask myself is: Is it now more popular and noble to be pregnant and not working? (I can only assume not working, because the previous girl is obviously headed off to work in her pant suit.) Is that what is "all the rage" right now? My friend Micah came to another conclusion: "The ad is saying that there's way to much pregnancy now. They're saying while you used to see every popular girl in a working suit, now you see them pregnant." We laughed about this a little bit. But the question remains, is the ad speaking out about the nobility of being a mom and investing in your kids, or about promiscuity? You be the judge. Could be that this is not interesting to anybody but me...

4 comments:

Kelli B said...

deb! very interesting post.

i'm not sure what i think about the bleach ad. but i like where you're going with your questioning!

that's so cute about you and luke...so cute! :)

Anonymous said...

Well, I think that it is trying to show that while women have changed (and the definition of what it is to be a woman has changed) over the past 6 generations, one thing remains the same: they want their whites to be white. So whether your a working woman, a mom, a college girl, or whatever (without referring to generations) there's something common between them all.

Paigery said...

it's b/c they want to show that bleach will be just as trusted in the NEXT generation, deb!!

Deb said...

Nope, not pregnant! :)