Sunday, April 29, 2007

Crazy Beautiful

Thank you to the random movie I watched last weekend that inspired the title for this post. (Suddenly I'm reminded that Spider Man III opens this Friday. Anyone following my thought process??)



Crazy Beautiful definitely describes the last week in its entirety. There were crazy parts that made me want to rip my hair out...and there were parts with pure beauty.



CRAZY


  • I was in charge of an online testing procedure that involved the K-3 grades. I put a lot of effort into getting ready for the testing that would start Monday of last week. Our smallest class, 8 students, went first and it was a disaster. What followed was pure frustration and the harshest phone call I've ever initiated in my life. I told the test administrator that we quit! The program was not ready for us, so we don't have the time or patience. I know, I feel bad that it had to happen too, but it HAD to happen.

  • Last week was Teacher Appreciation week. This will also be under my Beautiful list. This made for a crazy week b/c every morning was like herding cattle as the kids got all out of sorts over what the special was for the day.

  • Luke spent an hour outside trying to start our very old lawn mower so he could catch up with our lawn nazi neighbor. It never started.

  • Even though last week at school was supposed to be a week of special-ness for the teachers and staff, everyone was feeling the pressure of the end of the year and extra curricular activities...it seemed like everyone at school was having trouble with something or someone. I got so tired of the way we were letting ourselves be overcome by evil and sin. I know for me it caused me to really be in prayer for the people I work with and for myself.

BEAUTIFUL



  • Last week was teacher appreciation week. One day was flower day--they were so beautiful! Another day was fruit day--ahh, glorious fruit! As you know we've been trying not to buy groceries...I've been looking forward to fruit day for weeks...it's been so long since we've had fresh fruit! :) Also b/c of TA week I got a massage on Friday afternoon and the lady told me my shoulders are in terrible shape. This may be why I discovered last summer that I can no longer throw a softball. Ouch!

  • I got to see my family again this weekend. This time we really got to talk to each other as opposed to seeing them in passing, which is what happened two weekends ago. It was wonderful and so fun.

  • We got a new lawn mower!! Luke got some cash for TA week, so we used it to buy a new-for-us lawn mower! It hums like a bee. Speaking of lawn...anyone know how much it costs to get your lawn treated for dandelions and other weeds??
  • We are officially debt-free when it comes to school loans as of this week. Praise God!

Not sure if the intensity of the craziness came across, or the loveliness of the beauty was adequately expressed...it was a week that reminded me that God is in control and He's watching our reactions.


But you don't have to take my word for it! Buh, duh, da.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Debt free from student loans?! Congratulations! (Or did you pay your loans off with credit cards? haha) hI don't start paying mine until January...do you want to do them for me..?! ;)

Yay for crazy beautiful weeks. Thanks for sharing!

Amanda said...

hahaha. I'm laughing so hard at the Reading Rainbow guy. Nice. (Trying to regroup ...) OK. Why are you trying not to buy groceries? I'm so glad that you were treated to some special things last week. You deserve every bit. Luke on the other hand ... ha.

Deb said...

Luke and I decided to try and save some money by not buying groceries. It's helped a little...we get sick of it sometimes.

Next time you're at the library you should check out The Grouchy Ladybug! Buh, duh, da!

Amanda said...

I don't understand what you're eating. Are you hungry?

Oh! Good tip! I've not read that one. I hope it's a book that I can read over & over & never get tired of it. Maybe I'll email Dr. Cai & tell him to give it a whirl. Gah!

Deb said...

haha. this is really funny b/c i can tell you are really concerned. don't fret, sissy. we are eating b/c of all the things we received last week, and the Ramen Noodles that we have a lot of. there are other things, but basically it's like every night that we're home we search through the cupboards and just throw stuff together...so our 'meals' aren't really meals at all, it's more like snacking...not real healthy b/c we're definitely not hitting all the food groups. we're far from hungry, though!

Anonymous said...

I get in a laughing fit everytime I think about Reading Rainbow! Remember how they used to have little kids on there recommending their favorite books? Well, one time in fifth grade when we were watching Reading Rainbow, a kid on there told us all to run to our nearest library and get the book that he was recommending ! So, Jimmy Ottilie jumped out of his seat, and yells "OKAY!" and he ran out the door (presumably to the "media center"). I laughed so hard that day, and it still cracks me up! Ahh, Jimmy Ottilie...always makes me smile! :)

Deb said...

haha, jimmy ottilie. it's funny how that name and others like jamie nixon and travis barnes bring back memories of unending giggles and laughter. it seems like back then we used to laugh at everything. we probably did. there was so much to giggle about. i remember staying up at night telling each other all the funny things that happened in class...we were in different classes, so we would just crack each other up. i remember other nights staying up fighting about really stupid things and mom would have to come in and tell us to "GO TO SLEEP!" it was seriously stupid stuff and we would just argue around in circles. the giggling was more fun.

Anonymous said...

oh man, fun memories! When I think about our school years together, I remember laughing a lot too. I don't remember what we fought about though (other than the fan). I remember when Mark Berger told someone that the Brant twins laugh at everything. I was mad he said that at the time, but I guess there are worse things that he could have said. It was nice to have you with me to share life's experiences, Deb!

Amanda said...

Remember when we shared a room? I'm sad because you were to little to laugh with me. I remember getting out of my bed, though & laying on the floor beside your 2 cribs so that we could hold hands. That's a sweet memory.

Anonymous said...

awww... that's so sweet! I don't remember it though! :) Were we in Texas then?