Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Give a hoot











I love the earth. I'll be honest. I was the only teacher today at my school that gave a hoot on Earth Day. I took my nine girls out to pick up trash outside. I get irritated with our school because it's like I'm the liberal, tree-hugger teacher who wants to do something nice for our earthly home. I get weird looks when I have my girls recycle paper. Hey, God told us to take care of the Earth, right?


Here are some photos from our hour of fun.




My girls are cute and so helpful. They loved helping the earth. Our time together was complete with them reacting with horror when we saw the nearby nursing home employees smoking cigarettes. "Mrs. Demarest, they are smoking! And they are throwing their cigarettes on the ground. They're harming the earth and their lungs!" I said, "Shhh. Not polite. They can hear you." They were still appalled. I laughed inside.
I should have had them hug the tree back there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll share with you a little quote from my classroom Earth Day festivities. "Miss Wittrock, not just today is Earth Day. We can do it everyday." :)

Anonymous said...

GO Mrs. Demarest!! I am so proud of you and your class!! You did a great job and I am glad that despite the fact that you were the only one at your school to recognize Earth Day, you encouraged your students to care for the earth. Tell them a National Park Ranger wants to keep up the good work they did!

Holli said...

If you had them hug that tree, your coworkers' suspicions would have been true!

Paigery said...

do you remember in 5th grade when i got the lead in the earth day play? I was EARTH! but then I had to share the role with Janet Guerrero b/c they wanted to earth to be "diverse". booooo for stealing my glory!!

she-shew said...

I love seeing some pics of "the girls"! Just curious...did you find any otters to scrub while you were out??

Jackie said...

I heart you Mrs. Demarest! If teachers don't teach people to care for the earth, who will?

Holli said...

Jackie, Al Gore will.