Saturday, October 18, 2008

Funny things my husband does, part duex

I realize this is very unreasonable, but I just would rather not be asked, "What are we having for dinner tonight?" I'm not sure if it's because I'm then robbed the element of surprise, or if it's because I'm usually asked this question on the way home from school after I've just dealt with 15 children asking me those types of questions ALL DAY LONG. I usually respond to that question with more patience and grace after I've had a chance to be in the kitchen for a few minutes and can look around at what we have. I'm sure I could be proactive about these things, and I would save myself frustration by just planning a weekly menu, but that's just not me yet.
So, with that background knowledge, I'm confident that you will be able to find the humor in what happened this week:

Upon getting ready for bed Tuesday night Luke asked me, "What do you want to do for dinner tomorrow night?"

Are you serious?
I just had to laugh and laugh and laugh. We had just had dinner not five hours ago, and here he's asking about the next time I will cook for him. I think I found it so funny because I was reminded of something my mom thought was too funny. Apparently when I was little, probably 12, I stood at the pantry, with the door wide open, just staring. My mom and I had just been to the store, and I remember thinking there were lots of exciting new things in the cupboard. My mom stopped behind me and asked what I was doing. I told her I was, "planning my breakfast". She thought this was great and still laughs about that even now.

So Tuesday night I laughed at Luke for a while, and never did answer the question.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Next time tell him, "Food."
That was the classic answer at my house growing up.

Amanda said...

Oh! So funny. I can not stand that question! Gregor asks me that ALL THE TIME. I think it grates on me because I have to make so many decisions all day long & when it comes to deciding what to cook for supper, I 1) wish that we could just get take-out & 2) an totally done making decisions for the day. One time I said, "whatever you want to make us!" It was sarcastic & not received well. I should have said, "Food." I laughed so hard about Luke asking 24 hours in advance. Ha!

Holli said...

I think this very question would also bother me, if I didn't hate going to the store. I plan my meals a week in advance (in the future I want to try two weeks or a month and buy most things in bulk) and then I only have to make the meal decisions once a week. But sometimes it's really hard to come up with 7 meals and usually 7 lunches at the same time.

I hate going to the store more than once a week if I can help it, so I have to plan. So if Miles wants to know, he just needs to look at the schedule!

Deb said...

I should take a lesson from Holli!

Sarah said...

:) I like the story of you planning your breakfast!
My husband never cared what was for dinner. He was perfectly content 'scrounging' the kitchen for something himself. But that made me feel bad that as a wife I wasn't providing healthy meals. So a couple of weeks ago I started doing a weekly menu plan and it is wonderful! Some of the meals I can even cook the night before so I don't have to worry about it when I get home.
But I understand that it "just isn't you yet". It took me 3 years to get to that point. I've always thought about the weekly plan, I just never knew what I would feel like eating 5 days later.

Paige said...

LOL I just told Patrick that that question bothers me...he's all, "what do we have to eat tonight?" as if always has to be my decision and as if he is incapable of going to the cupboards and seeing for himself! What?? I suppose it's my own fault b/c during our first month of marriage I was doing nothing and planning dinner was my #1 priority!

Oh, and also, he frequently skips lunch and I'm beginning to think it's b/c I don't tell him what to have!

Anonymous said...

So, what's for dinner next Friday night...? :p