Wednesday, March 09, 2011

Bedrest Blogs Week 2

I'm like my cats. I lay down. I get up to use the 'litter box' and 'eat out of the food bowl'. Then I lay down again for 4 hours in a row. When someone enters the house that I think will listen, I 'meow' and demand my needs to be met. (My demands are a little more politely given.) There are a few differences between us:
1. The cats go outside sometimes during the day/night for hours where they meet and play with other cats...the other day Han came back into the house with a puffy tail--uh, oh, Han was being a bully again.
2. After laying around all day, the cats will allow themselves 45 minutes where they chase each other up and down the stairs, up and down the hall, around the kitchen (knocking down the garbage can, jumping on the fridge, and if they're naughty they will jump on the counters--this is when I wish I could smack them and get out my cleaner), and all the while avoiding the 16-month-old who likes to talk to them and chase them. I don't get to do that kind of running and playing.
3. The cats get to go downstairs.
4. The cats lay all over other living things...me. Even after being told to go lay somewhere else, they will return 5 minutes later. I lay on a large chair.
5. When I know there is no one that will listen to my requests, I don't ask. My cats still ask me to feed them and let them outside even though I'm pretty sure they realize I move for no one.

Maybe it's ok to have their company. However, in a few weeks they will start shedding all over me...I'm not ok with that.

Dr. appt. update: I got to see my regular doctor again this week for the first time in a month. She was concerned with the condition of different aspects. She said the stitch I had put in isn't doing anything for me anymore. Sounds like things are just pretty weak, and I think both of us each time are just hoping for one more week until we get to see each other again for a normal appt. I'm still dialated to 1cm., and if the baby were to be positioned the right way we would see some alarming ultrasounds probably. My heart was heavy when I left her office on Monday, but I decided that we take it one day at a time, and we do what we can to stay inactive, and we know the One who really is holding this pregnancy together, so I can put my faith in trust in Him to help us get from week to week, and to sustain this pregnancy...we are operating on His timeline. I've felt some stronger contractions this week, but only 4-5/day.

Best: Got to go through some magazines and books that I've been meaning to get through for a while now. We also got to host small group on Monday, and I appreciated the company and fun.

Worst: Figuring out how to parent Hope from a chair. This week has been better, although Monday she was very whiney. I thought, "What happened to my sweet girl?" She's discovering her voice, words, will, and legs that carry her far from me. I want to train her to listen and obey and use her words or sign language to ask for what she wants, but it's oh-so-different and harder when on bedrest. My honest concern: will she develop undesireable habits and behaviors during these 10 weeks that will take me forever to reverse? Time will tell, and I'm sure it will be fine. I'll talk to Liz about this because she can relate, I'm sure.
Allow me to convey another worst: Luke is so busy. He loves his down time, as do we all. I'm aware of how much 'to-do' he can handle on his list, and it makes me feel sad to see that list get full. We are both doing our jobs right now, and it's just the way it needs to be. It won't be long now. We can do anything for a few months. We really are managing, and we're not suffering, it's just different.

Yes, I've memorized TV schedules. Yes, I've accumulated quite a stack of reading material. Yes, I've completed Sudoku books. But I enjoy most of that. So, I'm ok.

6 comments:

Debra said...

Big hug, Deb!
I love the update and list of things to pray specifically for. I think of you a lot each and every day. If your nose itches- it's probably me thinking about the next time I can come to visit. :)

Anonymous said...

Blessings deb! You are in our prayers.
Laura pedersen

Liz said...

oh! I laughed, I cried. I can very much relate with everything you are saying, Deb! Except the cats--that is very funny, by the way!

I am praying for you and I just can't wait to come and help! Seriously! Good thing this month is going fast (for me).

One blessing I thought you could count: you're now at 28 weeks...both times I celebrated 28 weeks, I had already been in bed for 5 and 6 weeks. Even though the stitch is weak now, it did help you get just that much farther without bedrest! You can do this, Deb! I know it's hard not to think about everything stacked against you, but God will give you the grace and patience to stay down and He can bring you through this! He did it twice for me and I can shout of His goodness to you! Love you! Talk to you soon!

Holli said...

Love you Deb! Thank you for the updates. We think of you guys often!

unspkblejoy said...

I did notice Hope's new use of the word, "no" yesterday, but---always said in the most gentle and cute way! She is definitely still your "sweet girl." Will the next one be just as much of a "Joy?"

Deb said...

ha! Sarah, I've noticed that too. Many times 'no' means 'yes', so it's all just very confusing. You're so sneaky with your name guessing. :)