Monday, March 14, 2011

Bedrest Bright Spot


I PASSED!!!


Today I had to take a glucola test at my Dr. appt. It's when you drink a really sugary drink and an hour later they check your blood sugar levels. If the number they measure is above 129, you have to go do a three hour test at the hospital to see if you have gestational diabetes. When I was pregnant with Hope I failed every glucola test, so I had to manage my diabetes with my diet.


Well, not this time! I couldn't believe it when the nurse told me I passed. My number was 124, so very close, but not close enough!


This made me soooo happy. How great to not have to worry about this too. I thanked God, because I think this is a gift from Him.


Do you know what this means??? This means I can partake of the yummy ice cream that was delivered to our house this weekend. In moderation of course.


I want to take this opportunity to address the cause of gestational diabetes. I feel like there are a lot of misconceptions. I don't know everything exactly, which makes me really hesitant to bring it up, but I've heard it from the doctor's mouth, so I feel compelled.

A) Raise your hand if you think eating lots of sweets during pregnancy will give you gest. diab. ....anyone?

B) Now raise your hand if you think pregnancy hormones make it hard for insulin to interact with glucose, thereby making your blood sugar too high! ....anyone?


B is true. So the important thing here....when a mommy has gestational diabetes, it's not her fault, friends. Blame it on the hormones.


OK, bring on the objections, you fellow know-it-alls!

3 comments:

Paige said...

Nah. It's too many sweets.

unspkblejoy said...

Great report!

Liz said...

Awesome! This is one area of pregnancy that I didn't study to death! haha! And, this is God's blessing to you! That's exactly how I would view it too!