Olivia loves to be held; she will not sleep without it!
Creatively trying to capture a tear-provoking moment. Thank you God for a baby to hold.
Olivia looking big.
Hope's picture face.
I was reminded today on three separate occasions by three separate people that I need to savor these days.
One father of four told me about his oldest son who turned 16 this week. He now has his license and is running errands for the family. He said it seemed like just yesterday he and his wife were moving to Sioux City with a one-year-old boy in the front seat between them. He said, "The time just went like *that." (finger snap) Wow, the sincerity and thoughtfulness in his voice called me to stop and thank God for these days.
One father told me about his daughter who just turned 24. I had never met him, but he felt compelled to tell me how quickly the time goes after he observed Hope fingering every little gum and candy package while we were waiting to pay for our pizza at Caseys. He said, "I remember those days. My daughter was a petite little toddler like yours. The time goes by so fast." Again, there was such a thoughtfulness in his voice. It was like I was in a passenger car in his brain, witnessing every minute of joy and love...it all came spilling out as he spoke to me. He never told me any specific memories, but I could see them. As Hope and I walked home from Caseys hand-in-hand I felt so special and honored to be her mommy. I get to be there for every moment. I get to be the one she cries with, and learns with, and laughs with, feels most comfortable with, and someday, gets sick with. That's right, she has yet to be 'throw-up' sick, thank goodness. At that moment I also felt like I was a part of a club, the parent club. Now that Hope is older, and strangely, now that I have two babies, I feel more strongly the honor of parenthood. I realize the calling that it is, to a certain degree. I know there will be so much more to experience.
Finally a friend of mine (@jdzwief) put it really well: "These are some good times. So take a good look around. You may not know it now, but you're gonna miss this." That's what I thought today as I walked with Hope, and as I watched her play with her daddy, and even when both of my babies were crying at the same time. I thought, "Some day I'm going to miss this." And now I know from relayed experience, that day will come more quickly than I care for it to. Thanks, God, for these days and nights that have been prepared for me. My prayer is to handle them with grace and goodness and intentionality.
4 comments:
FINALLY you're back! 'Tear-provoking' post.
I heart Deb! A WHOLE BUNCH!
Thanks for sharing, Deb. Jackie is so wise!
You are such a good mommy Deb...and you will be a good friend to your girls as well.
I miss you!!
Post a Comment