Ever watch Days of our Lives?
My sisters and I did ALL THE TIME growing up. When my mom stayed home with us she would always watch Days while she did her excercises, and while we napped. How do I know? Because I would sneak my way to the stairs and watch for a little bit until I got bored. At some point we must have thought it was interesting; we would watch it after school. Now it is on at lunch time and I catch it maybe once a year. Anyway, on that show there is a woman named Hope. Her husband calls her Fancy Face. Cute.
My little Hope turned two this week. She also gave up her pacifier. We are anxious to move her into her toddler bed too, but we will wait until she learns to sleep without her pacie. As I type this, I am listening to her do everything but sleep during her nap time. She has always been such a great sleeper--never fusses, and sleeps for a long time. Well, that story is changing, understandably, since we said goodbye to her pacie last night. I'm so prayerful that her wonderful sleep habits will return.
I had a mini-crisis last night. Like I said, we took the pacie away. I wasn't sure how to do it, but I had heard of a couple of different ways that worked for other people. We decided to tell her that she's a big girl now and that she can say goodbye to her pacie...big girls don't use pacies. She wanted nothing to do with being a big girl. So, then we showed her the pacie that was "broken". She cried and cried, all the way to the trash can where she obediently threw it away. My heart hurt so bad as I watched her being such a good girl to throw it away, but so so sad as she did it. It was like we were taking away her best friend. I immediately felt like I had done everything wrong. "I didn't do it right! She isn't supposed to cry this hard." is what I was thinking. For the next two hours she kept saying, "Pacie is broken! Throw in the trash!" through sobs. Oh, the tears that pull on my heartstrings! It's all a part of the process, but it was hard. She tired herself out and eventually fell asleep. She slept through the whole night, which we weren't expecting. She went shopping with me today (which was a scary drive! First winter weathery mix of precipitation. We should have just stayed home...good reminder for the upcoming months), and was such a good girl at the store. She is an incredible little girl. I'm so glad God gave her to this family. She got a little treat for being a big girl, but still every time we say Hope is a big girl, she cries, "No!". Someone should tell her it's not so bad.
So, it's looking like she'll skip her nap today, which might make tonight a little bit easier.
Thus ends my story of when Hope said goodbye to her first best friend. So long, Hawkeye pacie.
6 comments:
She is such a sweet girl!
I think my favorite part of pictures of Hope is that it almost always looks like she is talking to the camera. :)
Ahh! Reading this post was so hard! Poor little girl! But good job Mommy!
Poor kiddo--I've been wondering how the rest of the night went. Some things are great about growing up, but some things just stink. Such is the same with parenting, I'm finding. Did you dig the pacie out of the trash to hold onto forever?
Oh no! I wish I would have pulled it out of the trash!
Ahhhh. Reading your blog is kinda like getting to talk to you. I love you Deb. I hate when things like the pacie drama happens....especially when she was being so good and obedient throwing it away!! How heartbreaking.
Post a Comment