My sister Paige just got married. (Picutres soon) I was reflecting today about when I just got married, and how many of my concepts of life were changed when I realized we were a family of two, not eight. Maybe Paige will discover some of the same things?
1. When your family consists of two there is no need for a full refrigerator. Resist the urge to buy as much as you remember growing up with. There's just no need. After I went grocery shopping for the first time my fridge was crazy full. Now, more often than not our fridge is frighteningly empty.
2. When you're cooking for two you don't need to make as much food as your mom did when she was cooking for eight. In the beginning I made many meals that provided lots of leftovers. Leftovers aren't altogether terrible, but make sure neither one of you minds eating the friendly reminders of dinners past.
3. Laundry does not need to be done everyday. Just like college, you can wait for a long while. Well, maybe don't wait as long as you did in college.
4. Pets are not evil. Mom's answer to, "Can we get a cat?" was, "We have too many children to have a pet. Absolutely no pets in this house." Not all large families suffer from lack of animal companions, but I have heard of at least one other large family who adopted this theory.
Those are all I can think of now.
3 comments:
You're too cute! I can't wait to see the pictures!!! Please post soon!!!! Love you! ~Jodi~
haha, I love it! Great words of wisdom, Deb!
i agree! growing up in a family of 5, i can relate to all these things changing when i got married. I did the same thing with food and with cooking! hee hee! lessons learned.
our fridge continues to be frighteningly empty. that is funny! we are so alike :)
Post a Comment