Tomorrow is the start of school again. I had a most excellent Christmas break. A full two weeks--that's right, I'm not in college and my Christmas break is TWO WEEKS LONG! This has seemed like the longest break, and I haven't gotten sick of it. I know there are schools all over the state that got the same amount of time off, so I'm not thinking I'm more special, I'm just marveling at how much I've done over the last two weeks and how much I've enjoyed it.
I got to host my first Christmas celebration. It was a successful all-day festivity with the Demarest side of the family. They are so fun. I felt no pressure to present something outstanding because I knew I wouldn't be judged--they were just there to have fun. Fanciness doesn't impress them, kindness does.
Luke and I sang with both sides of the family. Once in a small church in Correctionville, and once in a slightly bigger church in Marshalltown. All this happened in one day: Christmas Eve. Oh, we are such good singers; or, Oh, we have no shame.
A Christmas celebration in Marshalltown with the Brant side of the family was all I had hoped for and more. Lots of great time with neices and nephews, Mom and Rick, brothers and sisters, and family friends. I have to say though that the time wasn't long enough. There are so many people in my family that I can't help but come away from a time like that and think that I wish I would have had more time with this person, or that person. I've decided to just give thanks for the time we had and pray for a next time soon.
New Years Eve saw Luke and I at a hockey game with some of our closest friends: his sister Charity and husband Paul, and a couple who is like family, Micah and Sarah Gitlin. The Sioux City Musketeers managed to conclude their 11-game winning streak with a two point loss Sunday night against Des Moines. Paul filled us in on all the rules, and we had lots of fun. We went to Perkins after the game, then played games until midnight.
New Years Day Luke and I were again with the Demarest family, plus Gitlins, for lunch and a movie. We saw Night at the Museum. Fun family flick. I laughed. After a quick trip to Walmart some of us returned to our house for dinner and fun. We all split up while we were in Walmart and it was such a treat to be walking around and then spy some dear friends in the aisle. It was like a little surprise each time.
Luke and I went to our camp reunion for a day in Spirit Lake. It was amazing to see such great friends. Even more amazing to know that it wasn't the first time since summer that we'd seen our closest friends, and it won't be the last time until next summer. We had a semi-silly gift exchange and I think Luke and I walked away with the only silly gifts: a singing, moving mouse, and a Riverdance video with Valentines day candy. It's always a fun time when camp and Guitar Hero are involved.
I also had a lot on my mind this break. Luke and I were asked to make three very important decisions in the last two weeks. Not life or death, well, not all of them. All of them I'm taking very seriously and am praying about. I want to let the Lord lead and direct. We have knee-jerk responses for all three, but don't want to decide too quickly. We're praying for wisdom and are so grateful for the opportunities the Lord has placed in our lives.
Happy New Year to you all. There are not many who read this blog, that I'm aware of, so I can honestly say to all who I'm aware of: I'm so thankful for another year with you!! Lots of love to you and your families as you begin a new year. May the Lord bless you and keep you. Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
5 comments:
what were those decisions??? we're in the same boat...but just one major decision.
love ya debbie!
Word up, Deb! I'm disappointed there was no mention of our Wheel of Fortune marathon, or the movie Bingo, or the Creol food by Irvin. Too much to mention, I know. I can't wait to get my Little Women movie!
I can't believe I left those things out, Liz! Those were definite highlights. I've been watching Wheel of Fortune lately--it's been fun to play again! Another thing I forgot: fun trips to Liz and Andy's workplaces on their anniversary, with offerings of soda. That was memorable and well worth my time.
Kel: I'll email you soon!
okay -- please please do!!!
Sounds like fun! Keep us all posted on your decisions.
Post a Comment