
I start school on Thursday. Tomorrow I will go into school in an effort to get my room completely done before meetings start in two days. I will also attend the new fourth graders' class party for a little bit. It is tradition that the teachers are invited, but I don't think I'll stay for the whole thing. It will be a swimming party, and all 15 students will be there.
Amazingly I feel no dread about this day approaching. I feel ready, and have such a peace. This is a blessing from God. If I would have had my way I would not be teaching this year. I would be at home with a brand new baby girl. I would be fresh off a summer spent with my husband learning how to care for another living soul that is so dependent on us alone. As it turns out I'm fresh off a summer spent with my husband learning how to depnd only on a living God. I could be approaching this school year with remorse and bitterness; instead I have peace. That is because of God.
I have had an amazing summer. I feel like it was the perfect blend of so many things. I had time at Moville home with Luke and by myself, time working on home projects, time being lazy, time with MANY friends from all over, time at Marshalltown home with family, vacation time with just Luke, vacation time with Luke's family, and heart to hearts with God. I cannot express how many times I have voiced my thankfulness to God and Luke for such a soul strengthening summer. It is the reason I feel ok about going back to school. The importance of time off is indescribable. More than that is the importance of laying your heart and plans at the feet of the One who cares the most about them, and directs them.
Luke and I will celebrate our four year anniversary on the day we start school, August 14th. Four wonderful years. Our experience in the last year has strengthened our marriage. We care more for each other. We understand each other a little bit better. I pray that we will continue to always grow in our love for each other and for God. My prayer is that the Lord would guide us and help us trust Him as we approach the coming year(s). I asked Luke this last weekend where he saw himself in five years, and he said what my heart feels too...it's just so hard to even guess. Our world has been rocked, and we have no idea what to even expect. We have hopes and dreams, but there is an uneasiness. We really have no idea where we'll be, but we do know that we will still trust in God and love Him, and that's what matters.
My apologies to Miles and Holli for being in Sioux Falls this last weekend and not calling...I knew you'd understand though. Luke planned a surprise weekend for me in Sioux Falls complete with a stay at a bed and breakfast in Lennox, White Water West, and the Sioux Empire fair. A spendy weekend for sure, but I feel so thankful for a great way to cap off our outstanding summer. We got to stay in the unadvertised attic suite at the B&B, and it was to die for. There was a honeymoon couple who stayed there too, and I felt a little guilty about getting by far the better place to stay. Really there's just no comparison. Do I like a B&B better than a hotel? The verdict is still out.
Well, here we go...another school year is beginning.
5 comments:
Deb love it! i'm so glad that you've had the summer you had - only the Lord knew about this and prepared it for you. It wasnt what you thought, but somehow it's with Him. Keep trusting in Him friend.
PS - did you know that you and Jackson Lashier have the same anniversary??? HEE HEE! that's a fun fact. enjoy and congratulations!
Deb, I love reading your thoughts! thank you for sharing! You were in Lennox?? You knew that's where all our relatives are at, right? My parents were just there last weekend for another family reunion. Where is the B&B at? I didn't know there was one in town. Sweet!
We definitely understand the value in getting a break away from everything and everyone. No hard feelings for not calling and definitely not apologies! We had a wedding anyway. :)
Jodi:
I didn't know that your relatives live in Lennox...I just knew they were in SD somewhere. Lennox is so close! The B&B is about eight miles away from Lennox. It's called the Steever House. You can search it online and probably find it. I was probably just right down the road when Duane and Faye were there. DB!
Deb! Happy Anniversary and good luck on your first day of school!
I thought of a way you and Patrick can bond: he starts school Monday, his very first year of teaching! He can use some encouragement :)
...however, now that I think about it, this is also a stressful context in which for you to observe him, ha!
Post a Comment