Monday, July 03, 2006

My dad the Patriot

My dad was a patriot. He was in the army during the Vietnam War. During the draft, he was watching it on TV and his was the first birthday to be drawn. Faced with the inevitable, he said goodbye to his fiance and served his country. I could be wrong, but I don't think he went overseas. He had been to college and knew how to teach. He was utilized on the home front teaching classes to the military men. It was in the army that he accepted Christ and began a personal walk with his savior. Two Christmases ago my brother Steve took the time to create a memory book for his siblings. He had many people who knew my father better than I do write letters about what they remembered about him. One dear friend provided many, many pictures. I treasure that book. I treasure the pictures. It was the beginning of July when he died in 1992. The fourth of July was one of his favorite holidays, I'm sure. Here's to my father who will never be forgotten. It's surprising to me how much emotion wells up inside of me when I speak of him and realize what I've missed out on by not having him around. I guess I can go a long time without thinking about it, but when I do, it's fresh again. The Lord has certainly blessed me since his death..... it still hurts.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's sad that we can't spend 4th of July together like we did 2 years ago...what a great weekend that was. It's so cool to hear about your father and see these pictures of him. I really miss you my dear friend and hope someday soon we can go on a blade date.

Deb said...

Thanks Al, I hope we can have a blade date again soon! Who knows when that will be?!? Today I thought about some past 4th of Julys and the one we spent together came to mind. You are such a good friend! I miss you too. I will call you soon!

Kelli B said...

Deb, what a beautiful post. I love your heart, friend. Some things in our lives will always affect and impact us - no matter how many years go by since it happened. I'm so thankful that your heart is still near to and with your dad. I think it's beautiful...

Oh friend. How I wish we were in the same town! I miss friends who have a deep heart and are willing to go deeper.

Love ya!

Deb said...

Kelli, you have no idea how much I miss you. can i just say...i'm jealous of your running shoes because you spend so much time with them.
i love you, friend

deb

Kelli B said...

Oh man! I just laughed out loud. Dont be jealous of my shoes, my dear friend. They will mearly wear out and be tossed to the garbage. But you - you are a friend and you are lasting!

You live in my heart Deb. I love ya. Love to pray for you when i run. You've come to mind here and there. :)