Crazy weekend for movies. I went to Pirates of the Carribean 2 on Friday night, watched Hoodwinked with family on Saturday night, and went to Superman Returns on Sunday night. Do I really enjoy movies that much, or am I just lazy. I think it's a little bit of both. One thing I really appreciate is when someone says to me, "What are we doing inside? It's a beautiful day! We should be out doing something!" I love that. That makes me think that I would do anything as long as it is appreciating the great outdoors, and getting the juices flowing in me. I've known few people like that. Some people that come to mind are Jerry Hagberg, a dad of a friend, but has since become a friend of mine I like to think. Also, Mark Demarest. This would be Luke's dad. I came to appreciate him on a whole new level this weekend.
Luke and I went home for a day this weekend to get him a new suit. That was really our only expectation from the trip, but we ended up staying. Mark and Jo, my inlaws, had plans to go to a movie that night in Sioux City. When Mark saw us pull into his driveway, he called his wife, already in Sioux City, and told her to come home. His son and daughter-in-law were in town, "Let's spend some time with them." This gesture was amazing to me. How selfless. And yes, I think Jo might have been disappointed, I probably would have been too, given that time to go to a movie hardly ever happens. I don't think any less of her if she was--totally understand. I also just felt so loved and welcome. THIS is a dad who really LOVES his family. Minutes after we got there, he saw that I had nothing to do while Gabe and Luke played computer fun time, so he taught me how to ride a motorcycle. I love firsts. There are so many firsts waiting to happen in my life. Not normal firsts either. Like last summer I had plain sour cream for the first time. Yeah, I have tons of those. This week I might have my first grapefruit.
Anyway, Mark saw the opportunity to spend some quality time and he took it. Whether or not he was desiring quality time with his daughter-in-law or just to be outdoors, I don't know, but his love for his family and for not wasting time and for outdoor fun is what created this moment. AND, now I can drive a motorcycle. Well, now I know the basics. I hope I remember this experience always, and that it will help me to put others first when it comes to my time. And that I will start seizing moments like I should.
So today friends take a moment, or 60, to be outside. Do something NEW! That's what I think is missing from my daily routine. I want to do something new everyday. Personally, I am tired of saying, I've never seen that, or, I've never done that before. I say it way too often. Here's to more firsts and loving every minute of it!
5 comments:
I co-hosted my very first cookout this weekend. Yay, firsts!
Deb!!! Countless prayers...countless. God has answered prayers we prayed even a few years ago! About you and your new family...with the Demarests. Deb, God is providing you and opening His arms to you through these people.
I love it!!! Deb, so excited for you. I hope there are many new "firsts" that happen with your family members.
Love you pal.
Thank you, Kel for reminding me of the prayers we prayed. It's true, He is answering many prayers in my life. I'm so thankful.
i found you! yay! i was going to give you the link to my site, but i was honored to see that you've already found me. little debbie snack cakes, i'm glad you are doing well!
sara fitz, i am so honored that you are here, at MY blog. oh how i miss you so. i'm really thankful we can keep in touch this way. you are a person i love hearing about. i also am glad you are doing well! hey, i tried to comment on your blog once, but is it true that i have to make an account?
Post a Comment